The Calgary Inferno (formerly known as Team Alberta, nickname "Honeybadgers", during the 2011-12 season) is a women’s ice hockey team that joined the Canadian Women's Hockey League for the 2011-12 season. The team plays its home games at Joan Snyder (Arena B) at WinSport Canada in Calgary, Alberta. After two seasons without an official name, in 2013 the team picked a moniker drawing from Calgary's National Hockey League franchise, the Calgary Flames. with whom they have a partnership. For the 2013-14 it was announced that all Inferno home-games will be streamed live by PCSN.tv
The first General Manager was Samantha Holmes, while the first head coach was Jason Schmidt. On July 21, 2011, the franchise participated in its first ever CWHL Draft. With the third overall pick in the 2011 CWHL Draft, Team Alberta selected Meaghan Mikkelson. With the first pick overall in the 2012 CWHL Draft, the team selected Hillary Pattenden.
- 2 2011 Draft picks
- 3 Season-by-season
- 4 Current roster
- 5 Coaching Staff 2013-14
- 6 Leading scorers
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- April 19: The CWHL announced on April 19, 2011, that it would merge with the Western Women's Hockey League for the 2011-12 season. The merger will feature one team based in Edmonton and Calgary and is a combination of the former WWHL franchises the Edmonton Chimos and Strathmore Rockies. The team will play their games in various locations around Alberta. Strathmore Rockies founder Samantha Holmes-Domagala, will join the sponsorship division of the CWHL and look after the requirements of the expansion team.
- July 21, 2011: Philanthropist Joan Snyder donated $2 million to Winsport Canada. The goal is to ensure priority rink access to female hockey players at all levels, and help expand the Canadian Women's Hockey League with the creation of Team Alberta. Part of the donation will cover the new addition to the Athletic and Ice Complex at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. This will serve as the future home to Hockey Canada. In addition, there shall be four hockey rinks, one of which will be aptly called the Joan Snyder Rink. Team Alberta will benefit with the allocation of free practice time, a dressing room exclusive to the club. Of note, the Joan Snyder Rink give priority to women’s hockey bookings, but it will serve as the Team Alberta’s home rink.For 2011-12 season, Lundy Day is the Alberta's regular Goaltender
- In September, 2011 a selection camp takes place . Then some matches pre-season are used as tool of final evaluation before finalizing the list of the staff on October 3.
- Beginning of October, 2011 concentrates on two weekends with friendly matches outside the competition against the Calgary Dinos women's ice hockey and MacEwan UniversityGriffins women's ice hockey
- October 28, 2011: Team Alberta played its first game in the CWHL versus the Burlington Barracudas. Laura Dostaler scores the first goal in Team Alberta history in a 4-2 victory. Other goals were scored by Meghan Hunter, Jenna Cunningham and Courtney Sawchuk.
- September 23, 2013: After two years without an official name, the team is announced as the Calgary Inferno at the Calgary Flames' arena Scotiabank Saddledome, prior to a pre-season game between the Flames and the New York Rangers.
In preparation of its first season, the Team Alberta CWHL selects several players during a special draft of the league held on July 21, 2011 at Mississauga, Ontario.
|30||||Delayne Brian||L||23||Wayne State Warriors||Winnipeg, Manitoba|
|33||||Shannon Szabados||L||27||NAIT Ooks||Edmonton, Alberta|
|3||||Kelsey Webster (C)||R||31||York Lions|
|8||||Jessica Wong||L||22||Minnesota–Duluth Bulldogs||Sydney, Nova Scotia|
|11||||Jacquie Pierri||R||19||Brown Bears||Montclair, New Jersey|
|12||||Meaghan Mikkelson||R||29||Wisconsin Badgers||St. Albert, Alberta|
|20||||Jocelyne Larocque||L||25||Minnesota–Duluth Bulldogs||Ste. Anne, Manitoba|
|27||||Tara Watchorn||L||23||Boston University Terriers||Newcastle, Ontario|
|6||||Karolina Urban||R||24||Toronto Varsity Blues||Kamloops, British Columbia|
|9||||Erin Duggan||R||35||Yale Bulldogs||Beaumont, Alberta|
|10||||Rhianna Kurio||R||22||Union Dutchwomen||Calgary, Alberta|
|14||||Emily Berzins||L||27||Wayne State Warriors||Fort McMurray, Alberta|
|15||||Abygail Laking||L||26||St. Francis Xavier|
|16||||Julie Paetsch||R||30||Saskatchewan Huskies||Lanigan, Saskatchewan|
|17||||Danielle Stone||L||27||Saskatchewan Huskies||Prince Albert, Saskatchewan|
|19||||Jessica O'Grady||L||30||Carleton Ravens||Ottawa, Ontario|
|21||||Taryn Peacock||L||25||Maine Black Bears||Calgary, Alberta|
|22||||Jenna Cunningham (A)||R||29||Dartmouth Big Green|
|24||||Bianca Zuber||L||26||SAIT Trojans||Olds, Alberta|
- Head Coach: Tim Bothwell
- Assistant Coach: Kevin Haller
- Samantha Holmes-Domagala & Matt Appelt: GM, 2011-12
- Jason Schmidt: Coach, 2011-12
- Erin Duggan: AC, 2011–12