Forbes is 5 ft 4 in tall and weighs 155 lb. Born on 11 January 1973 in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, she grew up in Fredericton, New Brunswick and now lives in Toronto. Her home club is now the Hurricanes, a field hockey club inToronto. She is a paramedic for Toronto EMS as well as Assistant Coach for the York University field hockey team.
Forbes started playing hockey in 1989 at high school as a field player but she changed to goalkeeper. The summer she made the move of position her New Brunswick team won the Gold Medal at the Canada Games. From 1991 until 1997 Sarah played with the York University field hockey team which earned her the Gail Wilson Award for Player of the Year. She debuted for the Women's Senior National Team in 1993 for the Junior World Cup in Barcelona, where Canada finished 8th. Her hobbies are fishing, ice hockey, cooking, rollerblading, going to the movies and dinner with friends.
- 1994 – World Cup, Dublin, Ireland (10th)
- 1995 – Olympic Qualifier, Cape Town, South Africa (7th)
- 1997 – World Cup Qualifier, Harare, Zimbabwe (11th)
- 1998 – Commonwealth Games, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (not ranked)
- 1999 – Pan American Games, Winnipeg, Canada (3rd)
- 2001 – Americas Cup, Kingston, Jamaica (3rd)
- 2002 – Commonwealth Games, Manchester, England (7th)
- 2003 – Pan American Games, Santo Domingo (5th)
- 2004 – Pan Am Cup, Bridgetown, Barbados (3rd)
- 2006 – Commonwealth Games, Melbourne (8th)